Monday, May 21, 2007

Shevchenko eyes MLS

According to the AP, Chelsea's Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko has revealed how he would like to become part of the growing football revolution in America at some stage of his career.

Shevchenko, who joined the Premiership club for £30million last summer, has failed to reproduce the kind of form which prompted Chelsea to pay AC Milan a record fee. But the 30-year-old, who missed Chelsea's FA Cup final victory over Manchester United on Saturday because of a groin injury, admits to having an ambition to play in the US.

Real Madrid's David Beckham is about to cross the Atlantic to join Los Angeles Galaxy and Shevchenko said: 'I'd like to play there, actually. Soccer is growing in the US and I'd like to be a part of that. I played there last summer against the MLS All-Stars and I saw myself that it's definitely improving.'

I hope many other foreign players starting thinking the same way.

UPDATE:
According to Eurosport.com Andriy Shevchenko says he would like to move to the American MLS league when he leaves Chelsea. Shevchenko's wife Kristen Pazik is American and spent much of her formative years in Washington DC, whose team DC United are among the leading MLS sides.

As a DC United fan I would love to see this happen!

No comments: