Wednesday, April 4, 2007

MLS doesn't want Keller... what are they thinking?

According to ESPN, MLS has little interest in bringing Kasey Keller to America. My question is why? I mean I know he is 37, but he can still play at a high level and is a name. I would love to see him and Brad Friedel in MLS. I think both these goalies are still playing at the top level and MLS would be lucky to have them.

On the reverse side, hopefully some of the younger keepers will follow Keller and Friedel's example and head overseas to play in tougher leagues. In America we have no shortage of quality tenders, but we need to continue to challenge them and not let some of the best goalies get comfortable playing in MLS.

If MLS is going to expand from 13 teams to 16 teams by 2010 - we need players like Keller and Friedel back in the US to help the game. And have them do it while they are still playing at a high level.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read, that he is asking for a big salary.Well, he might have to get used to a paycut, but I think he should come back.I'd love to see him play here in the States too.

GMack said...

I agree - he wants big cash, but you can't blame him. This is likely going to be his last contract. That and he is playing at a high level and could start for the US in the next world cup.

GMack said...

thanks dj for posting... I appreciate it.